You may have a child, then it’s pretty natural for them to urinate on your car. So, do you know how to clean urine from child car seat? If not, no worries, we’ve got you.
The cleaning process will vary due to the materials as car seats can have either leather or cloth and sometimes both. To proceed, you need to use particular cleaning solutions, a clean wipe or cloth, and even white vinegar to eliminate the smells.
So, in this blog, our experts will let you know the most effective ways you can clean urine from your child’s seat.
Why Do I Need to Clean My Child Car Seat?
Having urine on car seats is pretty standard when you have an infant or toddler to travel with quite often.
You can’t stop it from urination, and it’s not always good to keep them in diapers; that’s why it is better to prepare yourself for cleaning the child’s car seats. The reasons behind its importance are:
- Urine creates an odor inside the car no matter how much the baby has peed on it. If the urine dries on the car seat, that will still create a foul smell even if you keep the windows open. That’s why you have to clean the child’s car seat pretty often to get rid of odors.
- When your child sits on the seat pretty often, the matter of their hygiene and health comes up. To protect your kids from any infection, you should keep the car seats clean for them.
- Sometimes, the kids eat or vomit in the car, which creates stains on it, and the urine stain can also be permanent on the car seats if not cleaned properly.
However, you’re supposed to clean the child’s car seat, including other seats, to avoid clean seats.
- If you fail to clean the car seats correctly, the seats can develop fungus or similar parasites that can destroy the surface.
So, it is mandatory to clean child car seats to prevent microbial growth.
How to Clean Urine from Child Car Seat?
You have to follow easy steps to clean urine from a child’s car seat, but the steps, cleaning agents, and even the methods may vary.
The variation is dependent on the car seat’s material. So be careful with your methods.
Cleaning Cloth Car Seats
It is convenient to clean cloth car seats with a natural cleanser following some easy steps:
Step 1: Blot the Spot
When you see the area where the baby has peed, you have to take a dry paper napkin or something that can absorb it. Please be careful so that you don’t spread the urine all over the dry place.
Step 2: Prepare the Solution
You can take 2 cups of water and two teaspoons of white vinegar to make a natural cleaner for urine on clothed car seats.
Mix them well until the things dissolve well. Once the mixture is ready, you can pour some of it on the area and scrub it.
Step 3: Blot the Area Again
Once you’re done scrubbing the area, you have to blot the area again with a tissue or a dry cloth.
However, you can use damp cloths after blotting so that the white vinegar clears appropriately, and then dry it again with a clean dry cloth.
Step 4: Air Dry
If the spot is clean, you can leave it for air drying because that helps the cloth car seats to get back to normal.
Cleaning Leather Seats
Leather car seats are slightly different from cloth ones, and the cleaning method will also be different a bit.
Step 1: Remove the Urine Fast
Use a dry tissue or cloth to remove the urine from your car seat as soon as possible before the seat absorbs it.
Step 2: Open the Zip to Let the Seat’s Stuffing Out
If your car seat has a zipper, you can remove the leather and let the stuffing out if possible. Check if the stuffing is affected by the urine or not.
Some car seats may not come with a zipper, and you may not be able to let the stuffing out. You have to take quick action, in that case, to prevent the urine from getting absorbed.
Step 3: Clean the Leather
Clean the leather separately if possible, and choose the cleaner wisely. Choose a cleanser that gently cleans the leather without damaging it.
Step 4: Clean the Stuffing
If you feel necessary, you can clean the stuffing separately with an appropriate cleaner, but don’t leave the cleaner like that on the fill. You have to clear that with clean water and dry it immediately.
Step 5: Let the Stuffing and Leather Dry
Let the things dry in the air because that is more effective than any other. However, you can set them up after the stuffing and leather are dry like before.
How Do Get Rid Of Urine Smell From My Car Seat?
If you have urine on your car seat, it is hard to ignore the ammonia-like stench in the confined car. However, it is relatively easy to remove, and here are some methods –
- White vinegar
- Enzyme cleaner
- Charcoal briquets
- Baking soda
White vinegar is the cheapest method you can use as it is easily found in almost every household.
- Mix water with vinegar and put it in a bottle to easily spray it on your car seat.
- After that, leave it to dry, and you will have no urine smell whatsoever.
Enzyme cleaner is one of the easiest yet best methods to use to get rid of the urine smell from a car. Here is how to do so –
- Dab off the urine
- Then spray the cleaner and leave it for a while; however, don’t let it to dry
- After that, use a sponge to rub the surface and wipe off the residue
- Now leave the seat to get dried off
Baking soda is versatile and easy to get your hands on a pack.
- Firstly, take some baking soda and sprinkle it over the car seat.
- Then, use a cloth or a towel to cover the seat and let it sit and dry overnight.
Charcoal is an aged old method that removes odor easily. The substance in charcoal briquets allows it to absorb the foul smell.
- At first, put some charcoal in a bowl
- Then take that bowl and put it in your car overnight, and by morning, there will be no foul smell in your vehicle seats
What Are The Things To Consider When Cleaning Urine From A Car Seat?
Though you can use various methods to get rid of the urine smell from your car seat; however, there are a few things that you will have to consider when cleaning urine from your vehicle seats –
- The car seats have sponges that absorb liquid quickly; in that case, wipe off the area with a paper towel or dry cloth, which will reduce the stench before it gets absorbed.
- Use liquid soap to clean and wash the seats
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I wash my car seat before use?
It is unnecessary to wash your car seat before use; wash or clean it when it becomes dirty.
Moreover, it also depends on how much it is being used, which will define the time interval for washing my car seat before usage.
How much does it cost to clean car seats?
It depends on which way you choose to clean your car seat. It costs almost zero dollars if you decide to do it by yourself. The only cost, in that case, is buying an enzyme cleaner or baking soda.
However, generally, cleaning your seats by professionals who detail your car’s interior can cost around 50 dollars.
Are Urine Stains Permanent?
It depends on the fabric of your car’s seats. Some seat fabric tends to get stained immediately and leaves a permanent stain. In contrast, most vehicles’ seat fabric will not leave any visible stains.
Now you know how to clean urine from child’s car seat. However, the methods may vary so act accordingly and be sure of the method you are following. Nevertheless, try to keep your car seat clean and shiny at all times possible. You can also use car fresheners to keep the inside fresh and breathable.