The car seat materials we mostly see are Nylon, Polyester, Leather, Vinyl, and Alcantara. These are the most sustainable materials that make a car seat durable and productive. However, all the hard work goes in vain when we fail to maintain those car fabrics properly.
There are a few things responsible for destroying your car seats. Heat, UV rays, stains, water, etc., are some of them that can flatten the fabric quality.
To refrain from destroying the beautiful car seats, you have to use the best fabric protector for car seats and learn how to take care of them. We are going to inform you of all the things that you should know to protect your seat.
- 3 Best Ways to Protect Cloth Car Seats
- Comparison Chart
- 10 Best Fabric Protectors for Car Seats in 2022
- 1. ForceField UV Sunblock-Fabric Protector
- 2. Scotchgard-Fabric Water Shield
- 3. TriNova Stain Guard (Non-Aerosol)
- 4. Bickmore Gard-More
- 5.protectME Premium Fabric Protector
- 6. Gyeon Q2 Fabric Coat
- 7. G3 Pro 7204 Fabric Protectant
- 8. Nilco H18 Fabric Protector
- 9. Guardsman Fabric Defense & Upholstery Protector
- 10. NANO GO Textile Fabric Waterproofing Protector
- How to Use Fabric Protectors for Car Seats?
- Frequently Asked Questions
3 Best Ways to Protect Cloth Car Seats
People spend thousands of bucks on several cleaning and maintenance routines to protect their car seats. In reality, a few simple steps can increase the longevity of your car seat without spending too much. Here we will share the three best ways to protect your car seats.
1. Vacuum Regularly
The most important part of keeping your cloth car seat clean is to vacuum regularly. No matter how much we try to maintain good hygiene, car seats catch dirt fast. Follow these steps to vacuum your car properly.
- Take your car to a clean space and open all the doors for proper ventilation
- Carefully remove all the trash and waste
- Now, vacuum the inside area of your car properly
[Note: Vacuum the car seat and all other areas inside the car]
- Try not to skip any tiny space that might have dirt or small debris inside
2. Use Car Upholstery Protector
Now that your car doesn’t contain any dirt particles in it, it is time to use a car upholstery protector. To choose a protector, sort your priorities first. There are so many types of car upholstery protectors available on the market.
Among them, stain protectors, water shields, UV radiation protectors, and leather protectors are among the most common and efficient ones. Pick your favorite one and apply as per the instructions written on the product.
- Apply a single coat at first and let it dry properly
- Don’t overspray on the car seat
- After drying the first coat, apply another thin coating for better results
- Let the spray sit on the cloth for a while, and then hop in the car without worrying about damaging the car seat cloth
This way, you can keep your car seat protected from decaying or staining and increase its durability.
3. Add Seat Covers
Another way to protect your cloth car seats is to cover them up. You can choose from whatever material and style you want, as you have got plenty of options.
- First, remove the headrest from the front car seats
- Put on the seat cover properly on the backside of your seat and cushion
- Adjust the seat covers and hook them up to the cushions
- And for the rear seat cover, remove the seat headrest and back seat cushions properly
- Now, put on the covers properly and reset them in the car
As different car models have different types of rear seats, you might need to see the manual before trying to remove them.
Here’s a comparison chart that will help you to make a quick assessment of the products that you can choose.
|Best Fabric Protector for Car Seats||Best for||Weight||Surface Recommendation||Item Form|
|ForceField - UV Sunblock Fabric Protector||Editor’s Choice||1.15 pounds||Fabrics, Fibers, Upholstery, and Carpet||Liquid Spray|
|Scotchgard Fabric Water Shield||Best for Water Protection||1.63 Pounds||Sink, Upholstery, and Fabric||Liquid and Wipe|
|TriNova Non-Aerosol Stain Guard||Best for Being Non-Aerosol||8.93 Pounds||Carpet and Fabric||Liquid and Spray|
|Bickmore Gard-More||Best for Color Protection||0.4 Pounds||Leather, Fabric, Suede||Liquid Spray|
|protectME Premium Fabric Protector||Best for Stain Repellant||1.83 Pounds||Upholstery, Carpet, and Fabric||Spray and Liquids|
|Gyeon Q2 Fabric Coat||Best for Durability||Not Specified||Fabric||Liquid Spray|
|G3 Pro Fabric Protectant review||Best for Being Applicable on All Materials||1.12 pounds||Multiple Surfaces||Liquid Spray|
|Nilco Fabric Protector||Best for Quick Drying||1.29 Pounds||Untreated leather and fabric||Spray|
|Guardsman Fabric Defense & Upholstery Protector||Best for Leather Materials||0.69 Pounds||Upholstery, fabrics, and leather||Liquid
|NANO GO Textile Fabric Waterproofing Protector Spray||Best for Fabrics||0.51 Pounds||Natural, Semi-synthetic, and Synthetic||Liquid Spray|
10 Best Fabric Protectors for Car Seats in 2022
Without further chit-chat, let’s check out our top ten fabric protectors for car seats. Go through the details and pick one that meets all your needs.
1. ForceField UV Sunblock-Fabric Protector
For our first pick, we have an absolute all-rounder for you. The Forcefield® UV Sunblock is a UV protector sunblock that keeps the fabric from fading and preserves the quality of the car seat. The product comes in a 22-ounce spray bottle, and the liquid smells like mild petroleum.
A gallon-sized package is also available if you want a large amount. This UV protector spray has fast drying properties. That’s why it doesn’t take long to dry out. Besides, the spray won’t even leave a stain on the car fabric, which is another plus point.
The material of the product is well manufactured and is safe to apply to any type of fabric. Even on synthetics, it shows an impressive performance. Forcefield UV sunblock also takes care of the fabric, not just protecting it from the UV rays but also maintaining the texture and quality of the fabric.
Specifications for ForceField UV Sunblock
Manufacturer: Shield Industries, Inc.
Odor: Artificial Fragrance
Applications: Car fabric, furniture upholstery, carpet, rugs, etc.
Weight: 1.15 pounds
- The sunblock absorbs the UV rays and then releases them in a non-toxic form
- The concentration of the liquid is perfect for instant use, and there is no need to dilute before applying
- Apply it to any color or any type of fabric that your car seat has, and it will maintain the color along with the texture.
The Forcefield UV Sunblock is a harmless UV protector that comes in an instant 22oz spray bottle and protects the car seat fabric from discoloring while increasing the vibrant color and longevity of the fabric.
2. Scotchgard-Fabric Water Shield
Scotchgard water shield for fabric is an excellent protective product that safeguards your car seat from drenching in a water-based solution. With this shield, spilling water on your car seat won’t get messy anymore.
It will give you the utmost satisfaction in protecting your car seat from water. While applying this water shield, always go easy with each application.
Try to maintain a light coating rather than a heavy coating. You can apply twice if necessary. And the brand suggests reapplying the water shield after each cleaning session. However, a simple inspection before the application is necessary to check the colorfastness test.
Apply the spray on a hidden area of your car seat and rub with the help of white fabric to check if any color transfers from the fabric to the white cloth. If it transfers any color from the car seat, then you should stay away from applying the product to your car seat.
Specifications for Scotchgard-Fabric Water Shield
Manufacturer: Scotchgard 3M
Categories: Car seat, upholstery, curtain, backpack, luggage, etc.
Weight: 1.63 pounds
- Quickly dries in a clear coat without leaving any mark or odor
- Available different size options, so that you can buy as per your requirements
- Can be applied to a variety of fabrics rather than just car seats
Scotchgard Fabric Water Shield not only provides the waterproof feature but also makes the car seat stain proof. So, here you got two benefits in one product.
3. TriNova Stain Guard (Non-Aerosol)
This stain guard is a professional-grade cleaner that anyone can use without any supervision. The spray is not flammable like others, and because of this inflammable quality, you can use it indoor areas ensuring proper airflow.
You don’t need to worry about toxic chemical smells as this product has a very low odor. Besides, if we look at the material, the chemical is water-based and doesn’t contain heavy toxic elements.
The application has never been easier than this. All you have to do is spray the liquid once on your car seats, and it will start doing its magic. The stain repellent feature increases the lifespan of the fabric and resists it from picking up any stain from anything.
For application, you need to maintain a few things. Try not to overspray on the fabric that causes any dripping of the liquid from the car seat. And a minimum of 24 hours of surface cure is required for the best result.
Specifications for TriNova Stain Guard (Non-Aerosol)
Model: SKU: 33315
Applications: Carpet and Fabric
Weight: 8.93 pounds
- It features top-notch stain protection without harming the environment
- One application is good enough to give your car seat protection and durability
- The water-based solution is colorless and produces a negligible odor
The TriNova stain guard is a non-toxic product that doesn’t induce any aerosol, and only one application is required to get optimum stain protection.
4. Bickmore Gard-More
The Bickmore Gard-More is definitely one of the best car fabric protectors sprays out there. It perfectly maintains the color of your car seat no matter how many times you spray it on your car fiber or leather.
It even aids in keeping your car seat water-repellent and stain-resistant while minimizing friction and chafing. Moreover, this solution is also an ideal spraying option for all leather and suede.
This amazing spray is water, and stain-resistant due to the formulated protective coating that helps guard your car seat against water and stains while minimizing rub off.
That’s not all; Gard-More adds a robust and invisible layer of protection to leather and other materials while yet enabling them to breathe, keeping them supple and looking in their best condition.
Specifications for Bickmore Gard-More
Manufacturer: Wenley House Inc.
Applications: Leather, Fabric, Suede
Weight: 1.63 pounds
- It gives complete coverage all over your car seat with perfect consistency for a more effective cleaning
- The spraying is quick with a perfect sized nozzle for a better spray distribution
- Provides strong invisible layer protection to keep your car seats clean and shining for a long time
Bickmore is designed to offer you one of the best and most protective layers to your prized car seats, protecting them from water and stains while reducing rub off and scuffing. It even ensures your car seats remain in their best conditions.
5.protectME Premium Fabric Protector
When it comes to infusing the best technology, the brand protectMe never fails to impress. The protectME premium fabric protector allows any liquids, stains, and grime repelled by its excellent nanotech-infused, stain-resistant formula.
Silicon dioxide and water are used to create environmentally friendly, non-flammable, and odorless protection, making it an ideal choice for everyone.
Another impressive feature of this fabric protector spray is that it employs nanotechnology to create an abrasion-resistant and UV-stable barrier on textiles that can last up to 2-3 years, depending on usage.
This fabric protector is pretty convenient and has some of the best cleaning formulations to save a lot of your time and money.
Moreover, ProtectME fabric and waterproofing spray do not require ventilation and will not alter your car seat’s appearance.
Specifications for protectME Premium Fabric Protector
Applications: Upholstery, Carpet, Fabric
Weight: 1.83 pounds
- You can use it on most fabrics such as suede, microfiber, and so on, making it one of the best choices for protecting any kind of car seat materials
- The color of the fabrics won’t fade no matter how many times you spray on your car seats. This feature allows you to use the product without worrying about any discoloration drawbacks freely
- As this fabric protector spray tends to dry quickly, it will your overall work more convenient and less time-consuming
One of the notable features is that it doesn’t let your car seat fibers to fade its color and it’s resistant to steam cleaning. Moreover, the spray is non-allergenic, so you won’t face any adverse effects while using this fabric protector.
6. Gyeon Q2 Fabric Coat
Need a high-quality fabric coat that generates a durable and invisible coating? T hen meet Q2 Fabric Coat by GYEON. It protects the fabrics from dirt, liquids, and from harmful UV rays that can fade them when exposed to sunlight for long periods.
GYEON Fabric Coat is a high-tech solution for your car seat fabrics, providing good coverage and outstanding protection for up to 6 months.
This fabric protector is made with a proprietary silica-based coating that adheres to the fabric’s fibers, ensuring your car seats stay color-proof.
GYEON just takes 80ml to protect 1m square of fabric and produce a long-lasting barrier against water, grime, and UV radiation. However, on different surfaces and fabrics, consumption may change.
Moreover, it’s designed to keep most textiles cleaner for longer. It’s also pretty convenient to use, so it won’t take long to clean your car seat.
Specifications for Gyeon Q2 Fabric Coat
Odor: Not Specified
Weight: 0.264 pounds
- Applying the coat is pretty simple, quick, and convenient. Moreover, its hydrophobic protection is better than most fabric protection
- This Hydrophobic protection also ensures that your overall car seat cleaning is of high-quality
- Although the protection soon diminishes from excellent to fair with prolonged wiper usage, it still retains a reasonable amount of hydrophobicity
Overall, this product is worthy of your attention mainly for its remarkable durability. It can retain 80% of its original hydrophobic characteristics while remaining on the paint for at least 18 months, ensuring optimal car protection against environmental elements and exploitation circumstances.
7. G3 Pro 7204 Fabric Protectant
First thing first, the G3 Pro Fabric Protectant is a great stain repellent that can be used as a fabric protectant and spills repellent. It’s made of silicone-based polymer that is non-toxic and safe for your child.
It can be applied to any material such as leather, vinyl, and even plastic. And that’s a plus in my book.
The G3 Pro builds up a durable barrier over freshly cleaned surfaces to prevent dust and dirt buildup. And the best thing about this product is that they are very easy to use.
All you have to do is spray over the fabric and leave it on for about 10 minutes and then you can simply wipe it clean.
Voila! Your car seat fabric is good as new!
Specifications for G3 Pro 7204 Fabric Protectant
Manufacturer: Farécla Products Ltd.
Applications: Multiple Surfaces
Weight: 1.12 pounds
- Provides two in one protection from stains and spills
- The overall application process is very simple taking only 10-15 minutes
- Due to its non-toxic materials, this repellent will not affect the smell, color, or texture of your fabric. So, rest assured, your seat fabric won’t get damaged.
Altogether, the G3 Pro gives your car seat advanced silicon-based protection from dirt and grime with a pleasant user experience. It’s a very simple and effective product and is recommended for people who want to keep their car seats clean and stain-free for a longer period.
8. Nilco H18 Fabric Protector
The Nilco H18 Fabric Protector is an easy-to-use, quick-drying fabric protector that provides great protection without causing any additional damage to the fabric.
Upon spraying, it builds up an invisible and protective barrier that repels oily and watery substances. This means, you’ll get a high-end stain resistance and the fabric will stay clean for a long time.
Apart from being a car seat cleaner, it can also be used on any type of fabric like cushions, carpets, curtains, bed sheets, sofas, and more.
However, it can cause problems like skin irritation, drowsiness, or dizziness. So, user discretion is advised.
Specifications for Nilco H18 Fabric Protector
Odor: Artificial Fragrance
Applications: Multiple Surfaces
Weight: 1.289 pounds
- It’s a versatile product that can be used in both the domestic and automotive upholstery
- After spraying, it makes dry soiling easy to brush off. And as for liquid stains, this stain repellent makes it easy to remove the stains with just a clean cloth
- This product may cause skin irritation, drowsiness, or dizziness if your nose and skin is exposed. We recommend using gloves and face masks while using this
- Also, very harmful to aquatic lives. Avoid throwing them in any open water source.
Overall, the Nilco H18 Fabric Protector is quite a handy, useful, and versatile product for those who want to protect their car seats, as well as other furniture in their home, from getting dirty and stained.
9. Guardsman Fabric Defense & Upholstery Protector
With its incredible cleaning formula, the Guardsman Fabric Defense & Upholstery Protector is undoubtedly a great product for protecting your leather sofa, chairs, and car seat fabric from stains, dust, and spillage.
It features a quick-drying formula that will protect your furniture or fabric without causing any adverse effects on its finish. It can be applied to leather, suede, and even upholstery that requires frequent cleaning.
The stain-fighting formula will dry instantly after being sprayed on and will offer lasting protection from stains for months to years. It also won’t leave behind any chemical odor while keeping your fabric’s appeal intact.
Specifications for Guardsman Fabric Defense & Upholstery Protector
Applications: Carpet and Fabric
Weight: 0.685 pounds
- Builds up an invisible barrier to protect your upholstery from building up any dirt or liquid stains
- This stain protector will not change the fabric’s look and feel so you won’t have to worry about it while you’re using your favorite furniture
- Repels any water or oily substances from getting absorbed into the fabric. That means you won’t be worrying about any sturdy liquid stains
- The product is odorless and easy to apply. So, you can use it with ease even if you’re busy at work or home.
The Guardsman is a great cleaning solution for car seats and any type of fabric-based furniture. This product ensures the USA standards and is widely used by furniture professionals all over the world. If you want to keep your domestic and automotive upholstery looking new and attractive, then you need to order this product today.
10. NANO GO Textile Fabric Waterproofing Protector
If you have a lot of fabric in your home like curtains, rugs, bedsheets, and cushions, then this is the perfect product for you. NANO GO Textile Fabric Waterproofing Protector Spray has been specially designed to protect your fabrics from dirt, water, mold, and stains.
The product works by making a thin coating that completely covers your fabric. It’s safe and it will not do any adverse damage to your clothes.
You can use this product on any kind of fabric like cotton, polyester, silk, wool, and even natural fabrics like hemp, jute, linen, etc.
On top of that, it is super easy to use. Just spray the product on the fabric, wait for it to dry, and voila! Your fabric is completely protected.
Specifications for NANO GO Textile Fabric Protector
Manufacturer: NANO GO
Applications: Textiles (natural, synthetic, and semi-synthetic)
Weight: 0.507 pounds
- This product can back up your fabric for up to 6 – 12 months, depending on the fabric
- NANO GO formulates a silicon-based nanoparticle coating that integrates with the fabric to provide superior protection from water, fatty substances, and dirt
- The textile coating doesn’t cause discoloration to the fabric. And the coating can endure up to 5 washing cycles
- Moreover, you’ll get a 30-days money-back guarantee. So, you can have a worry-free purchase.
To sum things up, the NANO GO Textile Fabric Waterproofing Protector Spray is a versatile product that provides excellent protection against spills, stains, spills, and stains, and keeps your car seat clean. In case you’re looking for a cost-effective and versatile solution to protect your car seat fabrics, then I would suggest giving it a go.
How to Use Fabric Protectors for Car Seats?
Surface tension is increased by using fabric protectors. Any liquid spilled on the fiber will not easily penetrate the surface.
Fabric protectors can provide a coating mechanism to your carpets and furnishings, preventing fast absorption of any spills with proper application.
Many people desire to use these protectors but cannot do so due to a lack of knowledge. Here’s how you can use fiber protectors for your car seats:
Step- 1: At first, you need to apply a small amount of fiber mixture all over your car seats and ensure that it’s evenly distributed all over the seats. For consistent spraying, ensure that you maintain a proper distance from the spray nozzle and car seats.
Step- 2: Don’t overspray and make sure that the chairs are thoroughly wet so that they don’t drip. Since it’ll be a complete waste of your fiber protector.
Step- 3: Use a clean cloth or soft brush to work on your spray guard. This will ensure that the spray evenly distributes all over your chair.
Step- 4: Don’t rush in after using your fiber protector. You need to give it time to dry before exposing it to traffic.
Step- 5: Natural drying can be an option. However, if you want to speed up the process, then you can use air ventilation or even air movers for quick drying.
Frequently Asked Questions
People who use fabric protectors in their cars tend to have a lot of questions in their minds. Well, we have answered all the possible questions that you can come up with. Check out the FAQs.
Does Scotchgard Work on Car Seats?
Scotchgard is a renowned brand that emphasizes protecting your overall upholstery, including household and automobile fabrics. You can use Scotchgard with no second thoughts. The best Scotchgard for car seats in the auto carpet and fabric water shield.
Is Scotchgard Fabric or Auto?
Both are the different production lines of the same brand. In Scotchgard fabric, they produce shields, protectors, and cleaners for in-house upholstery, i.e., carpets, rugs, clothing, curtains, etc.
And Scotchgard autofocuses on the upholstery of automobile vehicles. This sector produces fabric protectors for car seats, stain removers, and water shields.
Are Car Seat Protectors Worth It?
Using a car seat fabric protector will always benefit you as it promises to serve. The different fabric protectors keep the fabric clean and make them low maintenance as well.
The less time you need to clean, the less messy your car will be. So, car fabric protectors are worth every penny.
Do Seat Covers Protect Cloth Seats?
Seat covers are made considering the utmost security of the passengers. An additional seat cover can save your cloth seat staying away from dirt and stain, but there will still be a question about safety. It is best to use fire-resistant seat covers to ensure optimum protection.
Is Scotchgard Good for Leather Seats?
Unfortunately, the answer is “No” you cannot use Scotchgard for leather seats. Scotchgard has gained popularity because of its high-quality fabric protectors and cleaners. But they haven’t produced any leather-friendly products yet.
How Long Does It Take Scotchgard Fabric Protector to Dry?
After applying Scotchgard fabric protector to your car seat, you should at least wait for 2 to 6 hours before jumping on the car. Depending on the material, the protector needs at least 2 hours and might even take up to 6 hours to dry out completely.
What Is the Difference Between Scotchgard and Scotchgard Auto?
Scotchgard has different product lines depending on the necessity. Here, Scotchgard and Scotchgard auto refer to the same brand, where Scotchgard auto is a part of Scotchgard.
Fabric protectors play a significant role in keeping your car seats clean and more maintained. When heavy using can get your car seats dirty and all messed up, there are times. However, having these mentioned fabric protectors can indeed keep your car seats intact.
Yet, our automotive experts recommend using ForceField-UV Sunblock Fabric Protector, as it gives an all-round performance to your car seat textiles and even ensures that it doesn’t get damaged by any harmful UV rays.
Therefore, we now hope you can make a pick out from any of these 10 best fabric protectors for car seats and give your car a whole new look.